In-House Patterns Diana is described as a “fluid yet refined top”, sized in A-D cup. I just knew this fit would be tricky on me. Cos’ I’m the girl who likes things to fit like bespoke tailoring whilst being roomy enough to swing a tennis racquet with aplomb.
So I cut out 3 x Dianas all at once. Why 3 when I haven’t even toiled the first? Well in for a penny in for a pound as they say and the same strategy worked out well for the Erin culottes! Sometimes one just has to commit.
Here is the first in a cotton jersey. My upper chest is 84cm and full bust is 101cm. So don’t ask me how I chose the 10D, but I assure you it was completely scientific! Except my bra size is 10F. Finished chest girth for a 10D is 107.3cm, so 6.3cm ease, which is about right I think, especially in a stretch cotton jersey. TMI?The shoulders look like they’re the right length. However, then there’s the view I never see!
I swear this is roomy feeling, but it looks like the back of the armscye is binding on my herculean lats! Move over Mr Schwarzenegger…I think the lower cuff is crinkled because I had it wound up all day prior to this photo – honest.
- the soft heathered lilac fabric works well even though this is a pattern designed for wovens.
- the fact that it shrunk in the dryer after this and swam on me less whilst shortening the sleeves, essentially subtracting the 1cm I added to the sleeve length.
- the strategic side seam shaping
- Great instructions and don’t forget the front placket tutorial on Alexandra’s blog.
- the front shoulder gathers, because I reckon they make my boobs look frumpy, but I might just be fixated…
- the lack of collar, which would make it more suitable for co-jumpering (co-sweatering).